US lawmakers: Unlikely to pull aid to Egypt, despite unrest

By REUTERS
July 7, 2013 19:41

The United States is unlikely to pull its $1.5 billion in mostly military aid to Egypt any time soon, US lawmakers said on Sunday, despite the Egyptian military takeover of the government in what the opposition has called a coup.

"We should continue to support the military, the one stabilizing force in Egypt that I think can temper down the political feuding," US Representative Mike Rogers said on CNN's "State of the Union."While US law calls for aid to be suspended if a country's military ousts a democratically elected leader, the US lawmakers appeared reluctant to do so.

Egypt's powerful military ousted elected President Mohamed Morsi last week after massive street protests turned violent, blaming Morsi's Islamist Muslim Brotherhood for the clashes.


Related Content

Breaking news
October 15, 2019
Fire breaks out at Weizmann Institute, no injuries reported

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF

Cookie Settings