US to launch civil rights probe into New York chokehold death

By REUTERS
December 4, 2014 04:14

US Attorney General Eric Holder said on Wednesday the Justice Department was launching a federal civil rights investigation into the death of Eric Garner, an unarmed black man who died after New York police put him in a chokehold.

Earlier on Wednesday, a New York grand jury decided not to charge a white police officer who applied the chokehold as police tried to arrest Garner in July in the New York borough of Staten Island on suspicion of illegally selling cigarettes.

"Our prosecutors will conduct an independent, thorough, fair and expeditious investigation," Holder told reporters. "In addition to performing our own investigative work, the department will conduct a complete review of the material gathered during the local investigation."


Related Content

Breaking news
May 24, 2018
S. Korea's Moon: Trump cancellation of North Korea summit 'regrettable'

By REUTERS