Girl allergic to milk falls sick from ‘pareve’ ice cream

A medical team at the pediatric emergency room, headed by Dr. Uri Bela, stabilized her condition, and she was transferred to the pediatric intensive care unit.

By
September 8, 2015 17:10
1 minute read.
Ice cream

Ice cream [Illustrative]. (photo credit: INGIMAGE)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

After eating just one spoonful of ice cream that she was told was nondairy at a hamburger fast-food restaurant, a six-yearold girl allergic to milk was saved from severe anaphylactic shock with an Epipen (adrenaline) injection by her mother on Tuesday.

The Rehovot mother rushed her daughter to Kaplan Medical Center where the little girl was given further treatment.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


A medical team at the pediatric emergency room, headed by Dr. Uri Bela, stabilized her condition, and she was transferred to the pediatric intensive care unit.

The mother said she had taken her daughter to the hamburger chain to eat American-style ice cream that is supposed to be pareve and which she had eaten in the past. The man behind the counter showed them the nondairy packaging label, the mother said. The name of the hamburger chain and whether it was kosher were not given.

The girl, who suffers from a milk allergy, immediately reacted severely. Her condition worsened, and she said “I can’t breathe. I am going to die.” The girl also vomited and developed a rash.

When her mother saw the symptoms, she pulled out her daughter’s Epipen and gave her the adrenalin shot.

At Kaplan, emergency room doctors gave her more shots and managed to stabilize her.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Public bathroom
November 15, 2018
For World Toilet Day, Ben Gurion University makes human waste fuel

By SARA RUBENSTEIN