Star of David with 'Life' inside threatens life of toddler when swallowed

Photos from Kaplan Medical Center showing doctor with pendant after it was pulled out, and girl with medical clown and playing with soap bubbles.

By
June 28, 2015 17:00
1 minute read.
toddler

Star of David with “Life” inside threatens life of toddler when swallowed. (photo credit: COURTESY KAPLAN MEDICAL CENTER)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A 22-month-old toddler was saved on Friday night at Rehovot’s Kaplan Medical Center when doctors pulled out of her esophagus a Star of David pendant that she swallowed that caused fever and choking,

The child, Tali Aseraf, started to choke violently, causing her mother, Sharon, to ask her if she had swallowed something. She said immediately that her throat hurt and that she had swallowed a piece of jewelry. The mother called Magen David Adom and was told what to do until a mobile intensive care ambulance arrived.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


At Kaplan’s emergency room, an x-ray was taken, clearly showing a sharp-edged pendant shaped like a star of David with the word “Hai” (Hebrew for life) inside.

Dr. Udi Katznel, who was on duty in the pediatric emergency room, quickly organized a team that put the toddler under general anesthesia. They gently pulled out the piece of metal using an endoscope to view it and tiny forceps.

Kaplan ear-nose-and-throat specialists said that if a child has difficulty swallowing, chokes and has develops a fever, an ambulance should be called immediately. “But to prevent it, keep small objects out of the reach of young children,” they added.

 

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Public bathroom
November 15, 2018
For World Toilet Day, Ben Gurion University makes fuel from human waste

By SARA RUBENSTEIN