Barak with IDF soldiers at Iron Dome_311.
(photo credit: Reuters)
Hours after an IDF strike on terror cells in the Gaza Strip, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said Sunday that rocket attacks emanating from Gaza would not be tolerated and issued a strong warning to terrorists planning attacks. The
defense minister said, "The IDF is actively thwarting terror attacks at this time," and any participation to maintain security
in the area would be welcomed, even a "reinforcement of Egyptian
soldiers in the [Sinai] peninsula" which has effectively been ruled out since the 1978 Camp David Accords between the two countries.
"There is a very good chance that those who fire rockets at Israel will have their heads separated from their bodies by precise aerial strikes," Barak said.
Barak: Israel regrets the deaths of Egyptian policemen
IDF targets rocket squad in Gaza as barrages go on
Perhaps trying to make good on tense relations that developed between Cairo and Jerusalem after the death of Egyptian security forces last Thursday, Barak said that "relations with Egypt are important," adding appreciation for Egypt's "devotion to the peace treaty and to international agreements."
The defense minister made the comments while touring an Iron Dome anti-rocket defense battery in the South, and announced that within weeks a third Iron Dome battery would be
installed in the region, and estimated that nine more batteries would be
positioned within the next two years.
The defense minister said that rocket attacks in the last few days in
which more than 100 rockets were fired in the span of only a few days
had been a "test, and were likely to continue."
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>