IDF hits Gaza terrorist cell, killing two

Terrorists open fire, shoot mortar shells at Israelis near Kibbutz Zikim; IDF responds; no soldiers wounded.

November 3, 2011 13:20
1 minute read.
Security fence near Jerusalem [illustrative]

Security fence near Givat Ze'ev 311 (R). (photo credit: REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Palestinian terrorists opened fire on IDF engineers carrying out work on the security fence on the Gaza border on Thursday, prompting a prolonged exchange of fire in which two gunmen were killed. No soldiers were wounded.

The attack occurred near Kibbutz Zikim in the western Negev, which borders the northern section of the Gaza Strip. Palestinian gunmen opened fire on army engineers using machine guns and mortars.

IDF prepares for Gaza escalation as ceasefire attempted
Israel holds off on Gaza operation at Egypt's request

Soldiers who were securing the site returned fire, and directed tank fire at the terrorists as well. Local commanders called for aerial support. An air force helicopter was dispatched to the scene and also opened fire on the terrorist cell.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Palestinian medical sources later said two gunmen were killed.

The attack ended a period of calm that came after an upsurge in rocket attacks from Gaza on southern Israel earlier this week.

Some 40 rockets were fired at Israel during the escalation, killing a civilian in Ashkelon and damaging residential neighborhoods in a number of southern cities.

On Sunday, the IDF approved a series of operations aimed at widening the scope of its responses to Islamic Jihad rocket attacks, but delayed the operation at Egypt’s request. Egyptian mediators held talks with Palestinian factions in the hopes of getting them to halt the rocket attacks.

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron