'Lebanon-Burgas calls increased days before attack'

Jerusalem intercepted phone calls between Lebanon, Bulgaria in months leading up to deadly bombing, 'NY Times' reports.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
August 9, 2012 09:47
1 minute read.
Smoke in Bulgaria bombing

Smoke in Bulgaria bombing 390. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Israeli intelligence intercepted a high volume of telephone calls between Lebanon and Burgas, Bulgaria in the months leading up to the terror attack that killed five Israelis in the city last month, The New York Times reported Thursday, citing senior government officials.

"We know the sources in Lebanon, though not the identity of those on the other end in Bulgaria," the unnamed official told the Times. In the days before the bombing, the volume of telephone calls increased, the official added.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Following the attack, senior Israeli officials placed blame for the plot on Hezbollah and its sponsor Iran. Bulgaria and other European countries have been more hesitant to point a finger at any specific group or country, however, until more evidence is uncovered.

Hours after the attack in July, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said unequivocally that Hezbollah carried out the attack. He pledged that Israel would pursue the attackers and “extract a heavy price from those who sent them.”

He did not elaborate.

“Yesterday’s attack in Bulgaria was carried out by Hezbollah, the long arm of Iran,” he said. According to government officials, Netanyahu has concrete evidence linking the Lebanese terrorist organization to the atrocity.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF