IDF soldeirs patrols Syrian border 311 R.
(photo credit: Ronen Zvulun / Reuters)
Almost a year after five family members were murdered by terrorists in Itamar,
the Defense Ministry and IDF have yet to implement a plan aimed at revamping and
upgrading settlement security measures.
RELATED:IAF strikes Gaza terrorists after mortar attack
The plan – drafted by the army’s
Central Command and expected to cost around NIS 500 million – was put together
following the Palestinian infiltration of the Itamar settlement near Nablus on
March 11, 2011, and the murders in their home of Udi and Ruth Fogel and three of
IDF arrests 3 PA policemen for throwing stones
Following the attack, officers from the Central Command
visited all of the settlements in the West Bank and produced a “security suite”
for each one. The plan was also supposed to include unauthorized West Bank
Despite drafting the plan and marketing it with great fanfare,
a budget for its implementation has yet to be allocated.
In addition to
physical barriers, the IDF also uses advanced radar and camera systems to secure
“No money was allocated last year or this year,” a senior
IDF officer said last week.
“The situation is becoming
Concern is not limited though to the IDF. Fears are also
rising within settlements, which are experiencing an upsurge in criminal
Eleven homes in Eli, for example, were broken into over a
single weekend last month and other settlements, such as Halamish, are without a
Defense officials said the plan was still under review but was the
victim of budget cuts and the reduction in the defense budget. Money for
settlement protection is supposed to come from the IDF Home Front Command, which
is responsible for erecting fences and installing radar systems.