Terror warning has Jerusalem on high alert for 3 hours

“This was specific information we received, and police responded immediately in order to maintain public safety,” spokesman says.

October 25, 2011 01:53
2 minute read.
Border Police forces [file]

Border Police forces 311 (R). (photo credit: Ammar Awad / Reuters)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Police raised the terror alert in the capital on Monday afternoon for three hours in response to intelligence information of a possible terrorist attack.

A temporary command center for police coordination was established in a tent next to the International Convention Center (Binyanei Hauma) as helicopters hovered overhead, before it was dismantled in the early evening.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Hebron: Border Police stop Palestinian stabbing attack

Armed man arrested at Cave of Patriarchs
Security forces continue to search for stabbing suspect

Police received the intelligence in the early afternoon, and the alert was raised at 2 p.m. A number of police and border police units were mobilized in different neighborhoods across the city.

“This was specific information we received, and police responded immediately in order to maintain public safety,” said National Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld.

Traffic was heavy in many areas due to increased security measures.

Jerusalem police spokesman Shmuel Ben Ruby insisted that the three stabbing incidents in the past six days were not connected with each other or with the heightened terror alert on Monday. He added that the terror alert was also not connected to the prisoner swap for Gilad Schalit, which some politicians and activists claimed would inspire a new wave of terrorist attacks.

The heightened alert comes just two days after a stabbing attack in Jerusalem’s Ramot neighborhood on Saturday afternoon, that left 17-year-old Yehuda Ne’emad in serious condition. It was just one of three incidents involving stabbing attempts or attacks in five days.

On Sunday, a Palestinian armed with a 14- centimeter knife was arrested by Border Police at the Cave of the Patriarchs in Jerusalem. The man said he had intended to launch a knife attack on Israelis on the site.

Last Wednesday, a Palestinian woman was arrested at the Gush Etzion Junction after charging a group of soldiers and civilians waiting at a bus stop and brandishing a knife while yelling “Death to Jews!” There were no injuries.

A defense source said the security establishment was not viewing the recent stabbing attempts and incident as a coordinated wave of attacks.

“They’re not planned or directly related,” the source said Sunday.

Rosenfeld said that the police and army deal with dozens of similar raised terror alerts throughout the year, and the terror alert is always raised during the Passover and High Holidays, as well as Ramadan and the summer months.

Yaakov Lappin contributed to this report.

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron