4-year-old Kippa-wearing boy, Israeli tourist attacked

A four-year-old boy wearing a kippa was slapped on his head as he walked home from a Chabad house in Auckland, New Zealand.

By
November 24, 2014 22:55
2 minute read.
Jewish boys

Jewish boys [file]. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Two violent weekend attacks on a young Jewish boy in New Zealand and an Israeli tourist in Berlin prompted additional warnings to be vigilant to Jews across the globe.

A four-year-old boy wearing a kippa was slapped on his head as he walked home from a Chabad house in Auckland, New Zealand.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The boy was said to be traumatized by the apparent anti-Semitic attack, which was witnessed by his mother, according to a report Sunday in the New Zealand Herald. The alleged offender was a man in his 20s “of Middle Eastern appearance,” said New Zealand Jewish Council president Stephen Goodman, according to the article.

Goodman said the man apparently laughed as he fled in a car with several other men.

“Anti-Semitism in any form cannot be tolerated,” Goodman said. “Racially motivated attacks against children are cowardly and have no place in New Zealand.”

Goodman said that in the Jewish community, there had been talk of children not wearing their traditional clothes in public for fear of being abused.

“If an adult is verbally abused, they will know how to handle it. When these sort of things happen against children, it is quite a different story,” he said.



Race relations commissioner Susan Devoy in addressing the attack said, “When our Kiwi kids are scared to wear a yarmulke or a head scarf because some adult may abuse and attack them, we have failed,” she said.

According to the New Zealand Herald, young Middle Eastern men yelled insults in Arabic at a girl.

“In October, men in a car had yelled ‘F****n’ Jews’ at a young boy,” reported the paper.

Approximately 7,000 Jews live in New Zealand, mostly in Auckland, among a population of 4.5 million.

Arsen Ostrovsky, director of research at the Israeli Jewish Congress, told The Jerusalem Post that the attack is “out of the ordinary for New Zealand. The attack underscores the threats facing Jews and Jews must remain vigilant wherever they are.”

He added that “New Zealand is not Europe and Jews live in peace [in New Zealand] and welcomed and embraced by the broader community.”

Meanwhile, in Germany, Monday’s Der Tagesspiegel reported four men attacked an Israeli tourist in the West Berlin district of Charlottenburg.

According to the police, the men walked past the 22-year-old Israeli and turned around to pursue him. They punched and stepped on him multiple times.

The Israeli was rushed to the hospital with hand and head wounds. The police are investigating the background of the attack as well as if there was a political motivation.

JTA contributed to this report.

Related Content

Film producer Harvey Weinstein arrives for his arraignment at Manhattan Criminal Court in New York,
August 14, 2018
Harvey Weinstein must face British actress's sex trafficking lawsuit

By REUTERS