Boy, 11, who died after falling ill at Pennsylvania Jewish camp had meningitis

Beer contracted a form of meningitis caused by the neisseria meningitis bacteria, the camp said, citing the health department.

By JTA
July 16, 2017 09:03
1 minute read.
Ambulance

Ambulance. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

An 11-year-old camper at a Jewish summer camp in Pennsylvania who died earlier this week had contracted meningitis.

The Pennsylvania Department of Health informed Camp Nah-Jee-Wah in Milford late Thursday that Daniel Beer had tested positive for a bacterial form of meningitis, the camp said Friday in a statement. The disease leads to inflammation of the brain and spinal cord and can be fatal.

Beer contracted a form of meningitis caused by the neisseria meningitis bacteria, the camp said, citing the health department. The bacteria can lead to meningococcal disease, an infection that is contagious and can be spread by close contact, such as by living with or kissing an infected person, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It can lead to a variety of symptoms, such as fever, headache, stiff neck, nausea and vomiting, and death can occur within hours of the onset of symptoms.

Beer died Monday after being hospitalized at Bon Secours Community Hospital in Port Jervis, New York, for what the camp said were “gastrointestinal symptoms.”

In the Friday statement, the camp said it has provided preventative antibiotic treatment to campers and staff who had direct contact with Beer. All parents were given the option of having their children receive preventative meningitis treatment, even if they had not come in contact with Beer.


“We have the antibiotic available at camp and an infection control specialist at camp overseeing treatment and monitoring everyone for symptoms,” according to the statement.

“We thank everyone in our camp community for their continuing support through this difficult time, and our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the young camper we have lost.”

Camp Nah-Jee-Wah is part of New Jersey Y Camps.

Now is the time to join the news event of the year - The Jerusalem Post Annual Conference!
For more information and to sign up,
click here>>

Related Content

Back to school (illustrative)
June 15, 2019
How Jewish day schools are now minting future engineers

By LORI SILBERMAN BRAUNER/JTA

Cookie Settings