Brussels remembers Jewish Museum victims one year on

The crowd brought flowers and lit candles in memory of the victims.

By REUTERS
May 25, 2015 03:57
1 minute read.
Brussels

Brussels' Mayor Yvan Mayeur gives a speech during a ceremony for the victims of the May 24, 2014 attack at the entrance of the Jewish Museum in Brussels, Belgium May 24. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Hundreds of people paid homage on Sunday to victims killed one year ago at the Brussels Jewish Museum.

Four people were killed in the attack by a gunman who opened fire in the museum with a Kalashnikov rifle, killing an Israeli couple, a French woman and a Belgian man.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Crowds gathered in front of the Brussels Jewish Museum to remember the four victims shot last year, surrounded by many police officers and military forces.

The memorial organized by the Coordination Committee of Belgian Jewish Organizations was attended by several Belgian politicians, including Belgian Prime minister Charles Michel.

After paying tribute to the victims, Michel said: "Unfortunately, Europe and Belgium have entered a new era where radicalism and terrorism are threatening the security of citizens. Zero risk as such is a thing that will never exist unfortunately and we are aware of that, but it is possible to take measures to reinforce security and that is what we have been undertaking."

The city's mayor Yvan Mayeur, who also attended the ceremony, said the current measures against radicalism proved to be insufficient. "I am afraid the means are still insufficient, especially if we want to fight against all these young people that are falling into radicalism, and to explain to them that there is no future in going to Syria to fight or continuing the war here. There is no sense in that."

The crowd brought flowers and lit candles in memory of the victims.



French national Mehdi Nemmouche is suspected of having carried out the shooting after spending most of 2013 fighting in Syria with Islamist rebels, French prosecutors said.

Nemmouche has been in custody in Belgium since he was arrested in Marseille and extradited in July.

Related Content

Concert promoter Bill Graham
August 19, 2018
Florida Holocaust Museum takes rock 'n' roll detour in Bill Graham exhibit

By JAY CRIDLIN/TAMPA BAY TIMES