Facebook pulls Auschwitz photo for nudity

Social media giant later apologizes to Anne Frank Center for decision.

By
August 31, 2018 01:27
1 minute read.
Facebook pulls Auschwitz photo for nudity

The Facebook application is seen on a phone screen August 3, 2017. . (photo credit: THOMAS WHITE / REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Facebook deleted a post last week that included an image of starving children in Auschwitz because of its policy against nudity.

The post was shared by the US-based Anne Frank Center for Mutual Respect last week. It linked to an article on the Daily Kos blog about the need for Holocaust education in the United States.

But on Wednesday, the Anne Frank Center complained on Twitter that Facebook had deleted the post.

“Hi Facebook, you removed our post promoting the need for Holocaust Education for apparently violating community standards,” the organization wrote. “You haven’t given us a reason, yet allow Holocaust Denial pages to still exist. Seems a little hypocritical?”

Around six hours later, Facebook responded to the Twitter post.

“We put your post back up and sent you a message on FB,” the official Facebook account tweeted. “We don’t allow nude images of children on FB, but we know this is an important image of historical significance and we’ve restored it. We’re sorry and thank you for bringing it to our attention.”


Facebook came under fire last month after its CEO said it would not delete posts that included Holocaust denial.

In a July interview, Mark Zuckerberg defended the social media platform’s policy of not automatically deleting posts that make false claims.

“I’m Jewish, and there’s a set of people who deny that the Holocaust happened,” the Facebook CEO said. “I find that deeply offensive. But at the end of the day, I don’t believe that our platform should take that down, because I think there are things that different people get wrong. I don’t think that they’re intentionally getting it wrong.”

After a great deal of outcry, Zuckerberg partially walked back his statement, saying: “I personally find Holocaust denial deeply offensive, and I absolutely didn’t intend to defend the intent of people who deny that.”

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Antisemitism
January 21, 2019
Jewish business in Washington D.C. vandalized with “I want Jexit” graffiti

By MARCY OSTER/JTA