Florida man sentenced to 25 years for attempt to blow up synagogue

The Federal Bureau of Investigation began watching James Medina, who had converted to Islam, after he began expressing antisemitic views and a wish to attack a synagogue.

By JON HERSKOVITZ/REUTERS
November 28, 2017 18:48
1 minute read.
Aventura Turnberry Jewish Center

Aventura Turnberry Jewish Center, Florida. (photo credit: WWW.ATJC.ORG)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A Florida man with antisemitic views was sentenced by a US judge on Tuesday to 25 years in prison for trying to blow up a synagogue in the state last year during a Jewish holiday, court officials said.

James Medina, 41, will first be treated at a US prison medical facility for a brain cyst and mental illness before being moved into the general prison population, U. District Judge Robert Scola in Miami ruled.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Medina, who faced up to life in prison, had pleaded guilty in August 2017 to charges of an attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction and an attempted religious hate crime, court documents showed.

“This is a very, very serious offense,” Judge Scola was quoted as saying in court by the Miami Herald.



The Federal Bureau of Investigation began watching Medina, who had converted to Islam, after he began expressing antisemitic views and a wish to attack a synagogue. They launched an investigation in late March 2016, court documents showed.

Medina met with an FBI-affiliated confidential informant and explained his plan to attack a synagogue in Aventura, Florida, near Miami, the documents showed.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


"Medina wanted to witness the explosion, hearing and feeling the blast from (a) nearby car," the informant cited Medina as saying, according to the documents.

Asked why he wanted to do it, Medina said he wanted to kill Jews, adding: "It's my call of duty."

Medina was supplied with what he thought was an explosive device by federal law enforcement. The device was inert and posed no danger to the public, federal law enforcement said in court filings.

He was taken into custody as he approached the synagogue with the inert device and later admitted to his crimes, they said. No one was hurt.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

October 19, 2018
Tens of thousands of documents reveal Argentina helped Nazi war criminals

By JTA