Former PM linked Weinstein to ex-Mossad agents, says didn't know plans

The explicit goal of Weinstein's agreement with the company was to "stop the publication of the abuse allegations against Weinstein that eventually emerged."

By
November 8, 2017 10:58
2 minute read.
A compilation photo of Harvey Weinstein and Ehud Barak

A compilation photo of Harvey Weinstein and Ehud Barak. (photo credit: REUTERS FILE PHOTOS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

WASHINGTON – Former prime minister Ehud Barak connected US film producer Harvey Weinstein with an Israeli-run company that acted to silence his accusers, a spokesman on his behalf told The Jerusalem Post on Tuesday, adding however, that Barak did not know how the Hollywood executive planned to employ the firm.

“More than a year ago, Mr. Barak was asked by Harvey Weinstein whether he is familiar with an Israeli security company, which would be capable of helping him with some business issues he was facing,” a spokesman for the former premier told the Post. “Barak confirmed that the company that Weinstein mentioned was probably Black Cube, and that it was indeed working from Israel.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“Barak does not know the company or its managers personally, but he did provide Weinstein with its contact information. Until this morning, Barak was not aware that the company was hired by Weinstein, nor did he know any of the purposes or activities it was hired for,” the spokesman continued.

The New Yorker reported on Monday that Weinstein had retained the services of Black Cube – a firm that describes itself on its website as “a select group of veterans from the Israeli elite intelligence units specializing in tailored solutions to complex business and litigation challenges” – in fall 2016.

The Black Cube logo (courtesy Wikimedia)

The firm has a branch in Tel Aviv, but operates across Europe and the United States.

The explicit goal of Weinstein’s agreement with Black Cube, according to a written contract, was to “stop the publication of the abuse allegations against Weinstein that eventually emerged,” according to the report.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Ronan Farrow, who authored the piece, is one of the reporters who broke the original news that Weinstein had been accused of assaulting several women over the course of decades.

The tactics of Black Cube operatives include undercover intelligence collection through the use of aliases.

They approached some of the women preparing to come forward as well as reporters investigating the case.

Weinstein may face charges in New York State as soon as next week for accusations of sexual assault that are still prosecutable within the statute of limitations.

News of the Hollywood producer’s habitual attacks on women reverberated across the US and Europe this month. Women on Capitol Hill and in the British House of Commons – as well as in law, tech and business – have been encouraged by his case to speak out on their own experiences of abuse.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

PROTESTERS HOLD signs during a ‘March For Our Lives’ demonstration demanding gun control in Sacramen
October 22, 2018
Mother of Florida shooting victim pays tribute to son in NY synagogue

By RACHELLE BLIDNER/TNS