Jewish channel preparing discrimination lawsuit against Dutch TV fund

The fund disputes the allegation, with a spokesman saying the Jewish channel’s pitches weren’t strong enough.

By CNAAN LIPHSHIZ
March 2, 2019 19:23
1 minute read.
Jewish channel preparing discrimination lawsuit against Dutch TV fund

Locals sit as Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte of the VVD Liberal party and Dutch far-right politician Geert Wilders of the PVV party take part in the "EenVandaag" debate, shown live on television at a bar in The Hague, Netherlands March 13, 2017. (photo credit: DYLAN MARTINEZ/REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

AMSTERDAM (JTA) — The Dutch national television fund is facing a discrimination lawsuit for rejecting all production pitches by the country’s Jewish broadcaster.

Since the 2017 creation of the television fund of the Dutch Foundation for Public Broadcasting, the Jewish Programming division of Holland’s EO broadcaster has applied 11 times for funding for documentary productions that have all been rejected, the Jewish broadcaster’s editor in chief, Alfred Edelstein, told the Jewish Telegraphic Agency.

“There seems to be an institutional decision not to fund our projects,” Edelstein said. “I don’t know why. But there seems to be discrimination. There’s no functioning appeal process, so we’re preparing to sue at the Council of State.”

The fund disputes the allegation, with a spokesman saying the Jewish channel’s pitches weren’t strong enough.

In 2017 and 2018, the fund handed out nearly $30 million in government subsidies to applicants for cinematic projects. It approved one application for preliminary research by the Jewish broadcaster, which has made several critically acclaimed productions, but rejected the application based on the research.

Last year, the fund rejected an application by the KRO-NCRV broadcaster for funding for a documentary series on Westerbork, a former Nazi concentration camp. The intended director of that series, Theu Boermans, told the NRC daily that he was “dismayed” over the refusal.

Shula Rijxman, the head of the Dutch Foundation for Public Broadcasting, is “displeased” by the allegations and rejects them, the foundation’s spokesman, Thijs van Soest, told JTA. Rijxman is Jewish.

“There is no desire to avoid Jewish themes — on the contrary,” van Soest said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Nazi flag flown in Canada.
July 23, 2019
Hate crimes down in Canada, but majority motivated by religion - report

By MAAYAN JAFFE-HOFFMAN

Cookie Settings