Sex crimes allegations rock Israel presidential race

Shalom had already decided to run, but he delayed the formal declaration of his candidacy, perhaps because there were rumors about the charges.

By GIL STERN STERN HOFFMAN
March 25, 2014 06:04
1 minute read.
Energy and Water Minister Silvan Shalom at the weekly cabinet meeting, October 20, 2013.

Silvan Shalom at cabinet meeting 370. (photo credit: Marc Israel Sellem/The Jerusalem Post)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The charges that National Infrastructure, Energy and Water Minister Silvan Shalom harassed a female employee 15 years ago sent shock waves through the political arena Monday, days ahead of his expected announcement that he would run for president.

Shalom had already decided to run, but he delayed the formal declaration of his candidacy, perhaps because there were rumors about the charges. He reportedly had a lengthy, positive conversation with Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu about his candidacy Thursday.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Sources close to Shalom expressed confidence that the scandal would be over before the deadline to enter the race. Knesset Speaker Yuli Edelstein will not set a date for the contest until the Knesset returns from its extended Passover recess on May 12.

The final date to enter the race must be after that. The Knesset will elect a replacement for President Shimon Peres by secret ballot to be held between the end of May and the end of June.

Sources close to Shalom blamed his Likud rival for the presidency, former Knesset speaker Reuven Rivlin, for the charges.

Rivlin’s office vigorously denied any connection.

“Rivlin hopes the episode will be found to be baseless and will end for the better of everyone involved,” his office said.



Another candidate said it was “suspect that the accusations came out only now,” just ahead of the race. All other candidates declined to comment, even off record.

Former president Moshe Katsav’s ex-spokeswoman Odelia Karmon, who faced a similar incident with him and helped lead to his conviction, said she also thought the timing of the announcement was unfair. She called upon the complainant to reveal herself to the public and confront Shalom.

“She knew that due to the statute of limitations, her case has no chance in court, so she should come out personally and challenge him if she is going to spill his blood,” she said. “As someone who went through this, I understand her pain and why she waited so long. But her behavior is still very problematic.”

Lahav Harkov contributed to this report.

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN