Court delays deportation of South Sudanese

Just 3 days before potential forced deportations, Jerusalem court issues injunction barring move until mid-April.

By
March 29, 2012 20:07
1 minute read.
South Sudanese protest against deportation in TA

South Sudanese protest against deportation 370. (photo credit: Ben Hartman)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Only three days before South Sudanese in Israel were to face potential deportations, the Jerusalem District Court issued an injunction Thursday delaying any deportations until April 15.

The decision was in response to a petition issued earlier in the day by a series of NGOs including the Association for Civil Rights in Israel, the Hotline for Migrant Workers, the African Refugee Development Center, the Assaf Aid Organization for Refugees and Asylum Seekers in Israel and Physicians for Human Rights.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The petitioners argued that returning South Sudanese to their home country at this point in time would gravely endanger their lives, considering the dire living conditions and sporadic fighting plaguing the country.

Also Thursday, the Foreign Ministry sent a letter to the Population, Immigration and Borders Authority (PIBA), asking for them to consider delaying the deportations, so that the ministry can have more time to examine the situation on the ground in South Sudan.

As of Sunday, April 1, the community of around 1,000 South Sudanese in Israel was to face deportations in keeping with a government decision announced by PIBA on January 31. PIBA stated that following the establishment of South Sudan as an independent country last July, they will no longer be considered refugees come April 1 and should prepare their departure.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor said Thursday that the letter sent to PIBA asked for them to wait while the ministry discusses the matter with an envoy sent by the Foreign Ministry to Juba. The envoy was scheduled to return on Thursday and will brief the ministry on the situation on the ground in Juba.

Palmor said the ministry asked for more time so that they can examine the envoy’s recommendations about returning South Sudanese to their country, as well as opinions from sources in the international community on the matter. Palmor said the recommendations could encourage them to request that the government extend group protection for South Sudanese.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Palmor added that the ministry did not ask for any specific time frame, contrary to reports Thursday in the Israeli press.

Sabine Haddad from PIBA confirmed that the organization had received the letter on Thursday but added that the decision about extending group protection for South Sudanese lies with the Prime Minister’s Office.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN