Meat stuffed beets 311.
(photo credit: Courtesy)
ROASTED BABY BEETS WITH TRUFFLE CHIVE VINAIGRETTE
Roasting The Beets:
*By Chef Todd Aarons
Tierra Sur Restaurant
Serves 4-6 appetizers
2 pounds raw baby red, gold, Chiogga (candy stripe) beets
Stems and tops removed and saved for another preparation
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 º F. Wash outside of beets well with cold water. If using beets of different colors separate the red beets from the other varieties.
2. Place inside a roasting pan or a sauté pan with a lid that has a handle, which is oven safe. Fill the bottom of the pan with 1/8 of an inch of cold water and sprinkle salt over the beets.
(I find that the tiny bit of water prevents the beets from burning on the bottom and keeps the skin moist enough to peel later. If using the roasting pan cover it tightly with aluminum foil or use the self-fitting lid).
3. Place in the preheated oven. Baby beets are small in circumference and should be checked for doneness with a paring knife after 30 minutes. Insert knife into the biggest beet in the pan. The knife should have little to no resistance.
4. Remove beets and let them cool to touch. While still warm use a kitchen towel (one you do not care about staining) and gently rub the skins of the beets until they slide off. You may thinly slice the beets or as I like very much leave them in large bite size pieces.Making the Vinaigrette:
2 shallots minced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
¼ cup Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
1 cup olive oil
¼ ounce fresh black truffle shavings, or 2 tablespoons truffle oil
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons chives, minced
2 hard boiled eggs, sieved
1. In a blender or food processor place the shallots, mustard and vinegar and blend. Slowly add the olive oil in order to emulsify the dressing.
2. After the mixture has become smooth, add the truffle shavings and blend once more. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
3. Transfer vinaigrette to a mixing bowl and mix in ¼ cup of chives and half the sieved eggs. Taste and adjust seasoning again. This vinaigrette will be at its peak of truffle infusion if you make it an hour in advance.To Finish:
Arrange beets on plate and drizzle with vinaigrette. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons of chives and the other half of the sieved hard boiled eggs.