Doctors remove objects stuck in bronchial tubes of infants

“I have never encountered such a young patient with this problem,” Dr. Arye Gordin, head of otolaryngology at Rambam says.

By
June 12, 2012 06:29
1 minute read.
Walnut removed from bay's throat

Walnut removed from bay's throat 370. (photo credit: Rambam Medical Center)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Two babies aged only five and eight months old, respectively, had to undergo treatment at Rambam Medical Center in Haifa after they swallowed foreign objects – a piece of walnut and a fruit pit.

Such incidents of ingesting foreign objects are very rare in children so young.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


At the beginning of last week, the five-month-old from the North was referred from another hospital to Rambam with a piece of a pit in the left bronchial tube leading to the lungs. He underwent a brochoscopy, but to get the seed out, minuscule devices were needed to remove it from such a small baby. As such equipment was lacking in the first hospital, he was sent to Rambam.

The baby was initially found by the first hospital to suffer from fever and an incessant cough, as if he had an upper-respiratory- tract infection; no one thought it was a foreign object.

“I have never encountered such a young patient with this problem,” said Dr. Arye Gordin, head of otolaryngology at Rambam.

Using general anesthesia, the doctors gently pushed a broncoscope only four millimeters in diameter and inserted a tiny pair of tweezers to pull the seed out.

In 20 minutes, it was removed.



“The smaller the child, the tinier the equipment must be, so it is very difficult,” said Gordin.

A few days later, Rambam staffers admitted an eight-month-old boy who swallowed a nut with a piece of cake he was served. This time, it entered his right bronchial tube. Using the same technique and equipment, Goldin and colleagues removed it.

“Both children are in good condition and have been discharged. It is quite rare for the ingestion of a foreign object reaching the lungs in a child under 18 months. Infants should not be exposed to hard food. Parents must be careful not to give them such inappropriate things to eat,” Goldin added.

Related Content

Lab
August 31, 2014
Weizmann scientists bring nature back to artificially selected lab mice

By JUDY SIEGEL-ITZKOVICH