Woman dies after giving birth to stillborn twins

Husband blames hospital for triple tragedy; Hospital says she suffered rare complication that could not be helped.

April 8, 2014 19:42
Hospital bed

Hospital bed. (photo credit: Wikicommons)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Ortal Hillel, a 27-year-old woman whose twin fetuses died in her womb at Tzrifin’s Assaf Harofeh Medical Center two weeks ago, died on Tuesday in what became a triple tragedy.

Her husband, Maor, accused the hospital of careless treatment after she was diagnosed with a urinary infection, but management maintained that she suffered from a rare medical complication that the best efforts had been unable to defeat.

The woman’s funeral took place on Tuesday afternoon at the Ashdod cemetery.

The husband said that before she suddenly felt unwell, the fetuses – which had been conceived after difficult fertility treatments – had been put on a monitor, and everything was found to be normal.

But when her condition declined, surgeons performed a cesarean section to extricate the boys in their 25th week of gestation. They could not save them.

The hospital management expressed its sorrow over the three deaths and said the medical staff had fought hard to save their lives.

The Health Ministry received initial reports and will investigate.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Weizmann scientists bring nature back to artificially selected lab mice