11 Islamic terror suspects arrested in Ceuta, Spain

Suspects had been discussing taking concrete action to launch an attack; among those arrested were two brothers of Guantanamo Bay inmate.

By AP
December 12, 2006 15:17
2 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Hundreds of police and security officials acting on months of intelligence arrested at least 11 suspected Islamic militants in pre-dawn raids Tuesday in the Spanish African enclave of Ceuta, nabbing them at their homes and while they prayed in local mosques. The men - including 10 Spaniards and one Moroccan - had recently begun discussing taking concrete action to launch an attack, though they were in the early stages and are not believed to have selected a target, said Interior Minister Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba, who was traveling in Algeria. "It was an Islamic cell in the process of being formed, so they had no specific targets," Rubalcaba said. "But when we saw that they were moving from fanatic discussion to direct action we moved ahead to detain them." Among those arrested were two brothers of Hamed Abderrahman Ahmed, a Spaniard detained at the US military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba until 2004. Ahmed himself was not taken into custody, however, police said, contradicting an earlier Europa Press news agency report saying he had been arrested. Forces sent by boat from the Spanish mainland carried out the operations early Tuesday in neighborhoods all over the city, a police official in Ceuta told The Associated Press. A national police official said at least 11 people had been taken into custody, and that 300 security agents took part in the operation. Police said they found jihadi documents and incriminating audio and video material during the raids, as well as false identity papers, bulletproof vests and a stash of money. Rubalcaba said the raids were the results of months of surveillance, and that Spanish authorities had received help from Moroccan intelligence agencies. Both police officials spoke on condition of anonymity under rules that prohibit them from speaking to the media by name. Spain has been a target of Islamic militants in the past. On March 11, 2004, a group of mostly North African Muslim extremists blew up four Madrid commuter trains, killing 191 people and injuring more than 1,500. Several other plots have been thwarted before they got off the ground. Spanish intelligence agencies have stepped up surveillance of at least 250 Islamic radicals, and kept a close eye on mosques believed to espouse violent views. They have also launched a series of raids on suspected Islamic militants this year, most recently in November, when authorities in Melilla arrested two alleged members of the Moroccan Islamic Combatant Group believed to have had a hand in a 2003 bomb attack in Casablanca.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Stutthof concentration camp, Poland
December 15, 2018
Trial postponed for former Stutthof Nazi SS guard due to health concerns

By MARCY OSTER/JTA