1,200 evacuated after increased activity at Ecuadorean volcano

By
December 24, 2007 00:14

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Increased seismic activity at an Andean volcano has prompted the evacuation of 1,200 Ecuadorean villagers, who venture home only to tend crops during the day, a local official said Sunday. Ten villages have been evacuated to sleep in shelters "to avoid people from being near the volcano," said Juan Salazar, mayor of Penipe, one of the highland hamlets near the base of the volcano, 135 kilometers south of the Ecuadorean capital of Quito. The Tungurahua volcano was registering near-constant seismic activity after seven hours of tremors rattled windows Saturday morning, showing an intense glow in its crater and spewing a fine coat of ash, the country's Geophysics Institute said in a statement posted on its Web site. "We can't rule out at this moment that the volcano may evolve in coming weeks from the current situation to a much more explosive level," the Geophysics Institute warned.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Spokesperson Heather Nauert (L) speaks as U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo
December 12, 2018
Effort to thwart Iranian missiles 'futile' so far, Pompeo says

By MICHAEL WILNER