Accused Nazi guard's deportation appeal rejected

By
December 22, 2006 04:16
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Panel rejects deportation appeal of accused Nazi guard A man accused of being a Nazi death camp guard has lost an appeal fighting his deportation. John Demjanjuk, 86, of suburban Cleveland, was ordered deported in 2005 after the chief federal immigration judge determined he had served at several Nazi death camps during World War II. Demjanjuk has denied the allegation. He still has the right to appeal Thursday's ruling by the Board of Immigration Appeals in Falls Church, Virginia. In its 20-page ruling, the board said facts established previously in courts identifying the Ukraine native as a Nazi guard "are conclusively established" and that there is no reason to believe there may be new information about his past in a Soviet KGB file, as his lawyer alleged. Demjanjuk, a former auto worker, was cleared in 1993 in Israel of being the notorious "Ivan the Terrible," a sadistic guard at the Treblinka concentration camp. The board reviewed legal briefs in Demjanjuk's case before dismissing the appeal, said Elaine Komis, spokeswoman for the Executive Office for Immigration Review. "We are studying it," said John Broadley, Demjanjuk's lawyer. "But that's the conclusion they reached. What their reasoning is, we'll have to take a look at, and federal courts will have to look at it, too." Demjanjuk, who first lost his US citizenship in 1981, was stripped of his citizenship in 2002 for a second time when a federal district judge in Cleveland ruled that documents from World War II prove he was a Nazi guard at various Nazi death or forced labor camps.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Kosovo President Hashim Thaci speaks during interview in Pristina, Kosovo August 14, 2018
September 21, 2018
Kosovo will open embassy in Jerusalem if recognized, president says

By CASSANDRA GOMES-HOCHBERG