Argentine judge dismisses case against president accused of covering up Iran role in bombing

"The evidence gathered far from meets the minimal standard," said a statement from the judiciary branch's CIJ information service.

By REUTERS
February 26, 2015 20:32
1 minute read.
argentina

Argentina's President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner . (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

An Argentine judge dismissed the accusation made by state prosecutors that President Cristina Fernandez conspired to cover up Iran's alleged role in a deadly 1994 bombing, the country's court system said in a statement on Thursday.

The judge ruled he would "discontinue" the case which had been revived earlier this month after its initial prosecutor, Alberto Nisman, was found shot dead on Jan. 18 in mysterious circumstances that sparked political turmoil and the revamping of the country's spy agency.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


"The evidence gathered far from meets the minimal standard," said a statement from the judiciary branch's CIJ information service.

Prosecutor Gerardo Pollicita renewed Nisman's investigation into whether Fernandez impeded the probe into the bombing in order to put through grains-for-oil deal with Tehran.

Fernandez called the claims "absurd". But the scandal over the original claim by Nisman, and his death four days later, raised long-festering questions about the integrity of the Argentine justice system.

Pollicita is expected to appeal the decision by Judge Daniel Rafecas to discontinue the investigation into the two-term leader, who is constitutionally barred from running for a third term in October's general election.

Iran has consistently denied involvement in the 1994 attack on the AMIA Jewish community center in Buenos Aires, which killed 85.


Related Content

August 20, 2018
Report: Jeremy Corbyn attended conference with senior Hamas figures

By JULIANE HELMHOLD