Australian court: Alleged Nazi can be extradited to Hungary

Australian court Allege

By
October 8, 2009 12:26
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A court ruled Thursday that an 88-year-old accused of killing a Jewish teenager during World War II is eligible for extradition to Hungary, rejecting the man's appeal but giving him two weeks to lodge another. Charles Zentai is accused by the Hungarian government of torturing and killing a Jewish teenager in 1944 for failing to wear a star that would identify him as a Jew. Zentai, who emigrated to Australia in 1950, says he is innocent and was not in Budapest when the slaying occurred. A warrant was first issued for his arrest in 2005. A court last year ruled that Zentai was eligible for extradition. He appealed in March, and the extradition ruling was upheld by a Federal Court judge. This time he appealed to the full bench of the Federal Court. He now has the option of appealing to the High Court, Australia's highest court. Zentai's bail was renewed, and he was ordered to attend a cardiologist's appointment later in the day. Zentai's son, Ernie Steiner, said after the ruling that the family would consider its options after they read the full judgment. "Obviously I am very concerned for my father, and I've had to ask him some very direct questions, and I'm convinced - through my own family history, statements he made in 1994 when my mother was still alive about the date of his departure from Budapest - he wasn't even there," Steiner said. "So this is really a travesty, this whole thing. We've never been able to present any arguments about my father's innocence in the courts in Australia." Attorney-General Robert McClelland has the final say on Zentai's extradition. McClelland has delegated the decision to Home Affairs Minister Brendan O'Connor, who has already invited submissions on the matter. Steiner said O'Connor could be his father's best chance of avoiding extradition and said he had already given a 570-page submission to the minister. Zentai is listed by the Nazi-hunting US-based Simon Wiesenthal Center among its 10 most wanted for having "participated in manhunts, persecution, and murder of Jews in Budapest in 1944."

Related Content

Angela Merkel
August 21, 2018
More refugees find jobs in Germany, integration going 'pretty well'

By REUTERS