Bangkok nearing anarchy

Authorities ban local TV as 7 reportedly die in army assault.

May 19, 2010 20:34
2 minute read.
Anti-government protesters launch homemade rockets

BangkokProtestHomeMadeRocket311. (photo credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BANGKOK  — Thai soldiers launched an assault Wednesday against "red shirt" protesters in a military operation that forced anti-government protest leaders to surrender but left parts of Bangkok in the grip of near-anarchy.

Enraged by the offensive, protesters set fire to Thailand's stock exchange and Southeast Asia's second-biggest shopping mall, looted luxury boutiques and fired grenades and guns in areas previously untouched by the mayhem. Disorder spread to at least seven provinces, and protesters set fire to town halls in three northern cities.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

In an effort to contain the violence, the government imposed an overnight curfew on Bangkok and extended it to 21 provinces. It also banned coverage of the unrest on local television channels, which limited themselves to government announcements.

At least five protesters and an Italian freelance news photographer were reported killed in Wednesday's clashes, and about 60 other people were wounded. But there were indications that the death toll could rise. The Associated Press quoted witnesses as saying at least six more bodies were recovered in the capital's protest zone after the military assault.

Speaking on television, embattled Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he was "confident and determined to end the problems and return the country to peace and order once again."

In an offensive launched at daybreak after days of escalating confrontation, armored vehicles smashed through barricades made of sharpened bamboo poles and rubber tires while heavily armed troops raced deep into territory occupied for more than a month by protesters.

As the military advanced toward the center of the fortified encampment, protest leader Jatuporn Prompan announced that he and other "core leaders" would turn themselves in to police. He pleaded with followers to leave the area to avoid further bloodshed.

"We have no more words to speak because all your hearts are already far beyond death," Jatuporn said. "Today we will stop the death but we will not stop fighting. People keep dying; let's stop the death together."

An angry mob ignored the appeal for an orderly retreat and set fire to parts of Central World Plaza, an upscale nearby shopping mall, under the gaze of fashion models pictured on billboards advertising luxury clothing. Thick smoke billowed from the shopping center and also from Siam Theatre -- a popular movie house -- a government-owned bank and other buildings. Rioters set fire to the Thai stock exchange, which had closed early because of the violence. Some protesters began setting up new barricades and fought running battles with soldiers.

Bangkok burns after army crackdown
Bracing for the worst in Bangkok as troops gather

Thai Army: Bangkok under control after Red Shirt leaders surrender
Thai government rejects talks

The government said it had the situation under control but also declared that a curfew would go into effect at 8 p.m. and continue until 6 a.m. Dazed tourists struggled to get back to their hotels through military checkpoints amid sporadic rounds of gunfire. Electricity went off in residential areas far from the protest zone.

There also were reports of unrest elsewhere in Thailand, a close military ally of the United States and popular tourist destination that touts itself as the "land of smiles."

Related Content

Tamir Naaman-Pery, an 18-year-old cellist from the Kamon moshav, in Young Musicians Eurovision 2018
August 19, 2018
Israel takes a shot at another Eurovision title