Basque group ETA declares permanent ceasefire

ETA seeks independence for the Basque region of northern Spain and southwest France.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, AP
March 22, 2006 16:31
1 minute read.
Basque group ETA declares permanent ceasefire

ETA-288. (photo credit: )

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Basque separatist group ETA announced Wednesday that it would commence a permanent ceasefire this coming Friday. Classified as a terrorist group by the United States and European Union, ETA seeks independence for the Basque region of northern Spain and southwest France. Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero has said a permanent end to hostilities by ETA is a condition for any talks between the organization, blamed for over 800 deaths in four decades of activity, and the government. Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero said the government is reacting with caution but also hope to the Basque separatist group ETA's cease-fire announcement Wednesday. "The government's position is one of caution and prudence," Zapatero told Parliament. "Any peace process after so many years of horror and terror will be long and difficult." He said that until now, Spain's political parties were joined in pain over ETA violence. "Now I trust we will be joined in hope." ETA previously declared a full ceasefire in 1998, but rescinded the truce a year later and renewed its bombing campaign. Spanish and French police subsequently responded with a wave of arrests, which were said to have hit the organization hard. Some analysts said its campaign became virtually untenable after the bomb attacks on Madrid in March 2004, blamed on Islamic extremists, that killed nearly 200 people. Widespread revulsion at those attacks made deadly violence politically unthinkable for ETA, they said.

Related Content

A picture illustration shows a Facebook logo reflected in a person's eye
August 22, 2018
Facebook: Iran behind new disinformation social network

By MICHAEL WILNER