EU foreign ministers divided on IDF's Gaza tactics

By
November 13, 2006 13:20

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

European Union foreign ministers were divided Monday over their response to Israel's military tactics in the Gaza Strip, which led to the deaths of 19 civilians last week. At talks in Brussels, diplomats said Germany, Britain and the Czech Republic opposed publicly condemning Israel in a statement meant to be issued by foreign ministers later Monday. Ireland, Sweden and Spain wanted to issue a stern declaration to criticize last week's Israeli military actions in the northern Gaza town of Beit Hanun. The attack, which Israel said was unintentional, led to widespread international condemnation. The United States, however, vetoed an Arab-backed UN Security Council resolution meant to condemn the Gaza offensive. An EU official said the EU ministers were to reiterate "very strong concerns" over the deaths of civilians, warning Israel to show "utmost restraint" in its military actions, which a draft statement says "should not be disproportionate and should not be contrary to international humanitarian law."

Related Content

July 23, 2018
Gunman dead after shooting 14, killing one, in Toronto

By REUTERS