Earthquake strikes Greek island of Rhodes; no damage, injuries

July 16, 2008 12:10


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

An earthquake, with a preliminary magnitude of 5.3, struck near the Greek island of Rhodes early Wednesday, the Athens Geodynamic Institute said. No injuries or damage were reported. The institute said it was an aftershock to a stronger earthquake that shook the area a day earlier, killing one woman after she slipped and struck her head as she tried to flee her village home. Tuesday's earthquake hit at 02:52 a.m. with an epicenter beneath the seabed south of Rhodes and about 440 kilometers southeast of the Greek capital, Athens, the institute said. The US Geological Survey gave the preliminary magnitude as 5.0. The magnitudes recorded by different seismology centers often differ.

Related Content

Police officers stand at a cordon after a car crashed outside the Houses of Parliament in Westminste
August 15, 2018
Man arrested after suspected UK parliament attack