German police lead European raid on neo-Nazi terrorist suspects

Planned attacks modeled on "Werewolf" commandos whom the Nazis planned to send behind enemy lines towards end of WWII.

By REUTERS
July 17, 2013 15:54
2 minute read.
German neo- Nazi during demonstration in Dortmund

German neo- Nazi during demonstration R 311. (photo credit: REUTERS/Ina Fassbender)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BERLIN - Police raided premises in Germany, Switzerland and the Netherlands on Wednesday seeking evidence of planned terrorist attacks by a far-right group calling itself the "Werewolf Squad", German prosecutors said.

The Spiegel Online website said the group was suspected of planning bomb attacks and had modeled itself on the "Werewolf" commandos whom the Nazis planned to send behind enemy lines towards the end of World War Two.

The Federal Prosecutor's Office said the group's main aim appeared to be to undermine Germany's political system, adding: "It is suspected they wanted to carry out terrorist acts of violence to this end."

German authorities are under pressure to step up their response to far-right threats after the chance discovery in 2011 of a neo-Nazi cell, the National Socialist Underground (NSU), suspected of murdering eight Turks, a Greek and a German policewoman between 2000 and 2007.

The group's last surviving member is now on trial, and the case has triggered accusations that, despite Germany's traumatic Nazi past, police and especially the domestic intelligence agency are blind to far-right militancy.

In Wednesday's raids, instigated by Germany, some 50 officers searched flats and offices in the northern states of Lower Saxony, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Hamburg, while Swiss police searched the prison cells of two suspects.

A spokesman for German prosecutors said investigations into the group had started last year. He said no one had been detained, although Dutch police said one arrest was made near The Hague.

Police confiscated computers, memory cards and documents in the apartments and offices of four individuals in the three countries, but the spokesman said no concrete evidence of an attack plan had been found so far. The prosecutor's office said the group appeared to have developed an electronic encryption program.

Although the far-right is politically weak in Germany, experts have long warned of the threat of violence from groups of radicals, inspired by Hitler, who recruit disillusioned, often jobless, youths across Germany, especially in the former communist East.

Anetta Kahane, head of the pro-democracy Amadeu Antonio Foundation, said she was not surprised at the discovery of another group.

"It is clear that the NSU is not the only far-right group capable of violence. They are organized, they have no problem getting weapons and they are a permanent danger," she said.

"To root them out, there still needs to be a change in culture in the German establishment, and real determination," she said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

An aerial view shows firefighters battling fires at the site where a man started a fire after sprayi
July 18, 2019
At least 23 people feared dead in Japan animation studio fire in Kyodo

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings