Militiamen kill senior WHO official in attack on Congo Ebola center

WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus identified the doctor killed as Richard Mouzoko, a senior epidemiologist from Cameroon.

By REUTERS
April 20, 2019 02:30
1 minute read.
Militiamen kill senior WHO official in attack on Congo Ebola center

A health worker prepares to takes off protective clothing after visiting the isolation ward at Bikoro hospital, which received a new suspected Ebola case, in Bikoro, Democratic Republic of Congo May 12, 2018.. (photo credit: JEAN ROBERT N'KENGO/ REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Heavily armed militiamen attacked a hospital treating Ebola patients in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo on Friday, killing a senior World Health Organization (WHO) epidemiologist and injuring two others, officials said.

Three assailants from a local self-defense militia attacked the hospital in the city of Butembo, one of the epicenters of the second-largest Ebola epidemic in history, said Patrick Kambale, the city's deputy mayor.

The outbreak is now spreading at its fastest rate since being declared last August, due largely to a spate of attacks by militiamen and others distrustful of the international response.



"The assailants are identified as Mai-Mai rebels demanding the departure of the international community engaged in the Ebola response," Kambale told Reuters.



WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus identified the doctor killed as Richard Mouzoko, a senior epidemiologist from Cameroon.



"The @WHO family lost a dear colleague in the hospital attack in Butembo, #DRC, today," Tedros wrote on Twitter. "We are outraged by the attack. Health workers are #NotATarget."



The series of attacks since February against Ebola treatment centers has hastened the spread of the virus and led some first responders to pull out of the area.



The assailants have mostly been unidentified but are believed to comprise both local militiamen and community members who oppose the response efforts. Many believe that Ebola is a conspiracy cooked up by the government or foreign countries.

The Ebola outbreak in eastern Congo's North Kivu and Ituri provinces is believed to have killed 843 people and infected over 450 more so far.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

May 23, 2019
Bahrain and the naysayers

By HERB KEINON