There are no particular signs that North Korea is preparing for a second nuclear test, officials in South Korea and Japan said Friday, dismissing a US television news report.
ABC News had reported on Thursday that the communist regime appeared to have made preparations for another nuclear test, and that the preparations were similar to steps Pyongyang took before its first nuclear detonation on October 9. The report cited unnamed US defense officials.
"Some unidentified activities have been detected around a suspected test site, but so far there are no particular indications directly linked to an additional nuclear test," Cho Hee-yong, a spokesman for South Korea's Foreign Ministry, told The Associated Press.
A Seoul-based Western diplomat who is close to North Korean affairs also dismissed the ABC report, saying no specific evidence or movement has been detected to suggest the North is preparing for a second test, according to former South Korean lawmaker Jang Sung-min.