South Korea's defense minister on Friday ordered the military to be "completely ready" for any provocation by the North, including the possibility of more atomic tests, ahead of resumed talks on the communist nation's nuclear programs.
"We have to be completely ready for the possibility of a second and third nuclear test by North Korea and its provocative moves ... during the process of negotiation on the North Korea nuclear issue," Kim Jang-soo said in a letter to top military officials, according to the Defense Ministry.
Kim, who took office as South Korea's new defense chief last month, said the military should focus on strengthening monitoring and intelligence capabilities, as well as its nuclear defense posture.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>