US to check if passengers are on 'no-fly' list

By
August 17, 2006 03:32

Airline passengers soon will have their names checked against the US "no-fly" list before flights take off for the United States, the homeland security chief said. The requirement, resisted by the airline industry for fear of costly delays, could be in place by early next year. It would make permanent a security measure temporarily put in place for flights from Britain after last week's foiled plot to bomb trans-Atlantic flights. Currently, airlines have to submit their passenger lists for international flights 15 minutes after takeoff. "This is part of our border authority," Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said in an interview with The Associated Press on Monday.


Related Content

US President Donald Trump
June 21, 2018
Trump reverses on family separations

By MICHAEL WILNER