WWI troops reburied in France

Australian, British soldiers found in mass grave.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
July 19, 2010 13:32
2 minute read.
Australian Army marching in France in WWI

WWI Australian Army 311. (photo credit: Wikipedia Commons)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The last of 250 Australian and British soldiers whose remains were discovered in mass graves were reburied Monday on the 94th anniversary of the World War I battle of Fromelles in northern France.

Prince Charles, top Australian officials and relatives of some of the soldiers were to attend the ceremony, which marks the end of more than two years of painstaking exhumation and identification work by archaeologists.

A coffin containing the remains of the last soldier carried from the site of the mass graves in a World War I-era, horse-pulled wagon to a recently built cemetery nearby. Prince Charles will then dedicate the new Fromelles Military Cemetery.

An Australian amateur historian discovered the graves — which contain the largest group of Australian remains from World War I ever found — in a muddy field on the edge of a small wood in 2008, prompting an investigation by the Australian government.

Retired Australian banker Jim Parslow, 71, made the trip from Melbourne to honor his second cousin, William Moore, of the Australian infantry, who died at Fromelles at age 25. Parslow, an amateur genealogy buff, said Moore had been officially identified thanks to DNA provided by an unidentified family member.

"This represent closure for us. Finally, he's been identified and honored as someone who served his country," said Parslow, who added that Moore's brother was also killed in France in WWI. He said that Moore's death had long haunted the family.

"My father passed along all the information he had about him (Moore) before he died and I picked up where he left off," he said.


The remains appear to date from a single, famously ferocious night of fighting 90 years ago. Late on July 19, 1916, Australian forces launched the battle of Fromelles, the first Australian combat operation on the Western Front.

More than 5,500 Australians were killed, wounded or went missing at Fromelles in under 24 hours, along with more than 1,500 British, cut down by German machine guns and artillery. German troops buried them afterward, Australian investigators say. The site, near a pockmarked battlefield, was covered over time.

More than 23,000 Australian soldiers' bodies were never recovered for burial from World War I, according to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Only a single body was to be reburied Monday. The other 249 bodies were buried in the new Fromelles Military Cemetery in early 2010. Only 96 of the remains found have been identified by name, all Australians.

An additional 109 of the bodies were confirmed to have belonged to the Australian army, but not named. Three were confirmed to be British. The other 42 are classified as unknown, the organizers said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A demonstrator carries a sign as teachers and students take part in a protest
May 20, 2019
Algerians continue to protest, seeking completely new political system

By DIMA ABUMARIA/ THE MEDIA LINE