Rouhani on the phone 370.
(photo credit: REUTERS)
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday the deal reached with six world powers in Geneva "recognized Iran's nuclear rights" by allowing it to continue to enrich uranium and that Tehran's enrichment activities would proceed similar to before.
He said in a statement in the Iranian capital broadcast live on state Press TV that talks on a "comprehensive agreement will start immediately" and that Iran had a strong will for them to commence right away.
The president also said the success of the talks so far was due to the "guidelines offered" by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Khamenei said on Sunday the deal reached with world powers in Geneva was the basis for further progress, and the prayers of the Iranian nation had contributed towards its success.
"This can be the basis for further intelligent actions. Without a doubt the grace of God and the prayers of the Iranian nation were a factor in this success," Khamenei wrote in a letter to President Hassan Rouhani published by the IRNA state news agency.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said at a Sunday morning press conference in Geneva that Iran will never stop enriching uranium. Zarif told reporters that enrichment will continue and "will be a part of any agreement now and in the future," although halting it is a significant portion of the agreement. Although many restrictions will be implemented over the next 6 months, it will not completely cease.
He continuously insisted that is it Iran's "inalienable right" and urged other countries other countries to "recognize and respect those who decide by their own free will" to develop nuclear technology. He added that the international community should "refrain from imposing restrictions, when we are exercising our right."
When asked about Israel's potential reaction to the deal, Zarif avoided naming the country, but said that there is no reason to react negatively. "The deal is geared toward resolving a problem that has cast its shadow cast over entire world, and this region. I do not see any justification to be concerned about the resolution of a problem."
"We are trying to move forward with the international community," he added. "They must accept fact that threat of war is illegal. War is unnecessary,imprudent and illegal. If we can prevent that, it is an accomplishment. The force option is no longer on the table."
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>