Former MK Stas Meseznikov's finishes sentence, released after nine months

Meseznikov was convicted on corruption charges and was originally sentenced to 15 months.

By
September 9, 2018 11:57
1 minute read.
Former MK Stas Meseznikov's finishes sentence, released after nine months

Stas Meseznikov. (photo credit: MARC ISRAEL SELLEM/THE JERUSALEM POST)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Former Tourism Minister Stas Meseznikov was released from prison today, after a parole board cut his sentence by a third last month.

The former Yisrael Beiteinu MK began serving his punishment in December 2017 after being convicted on corruption charges that dated back to his term as Tourism Minister in 2010. Meseznikov admitted to having acted in a conflict of interest and was convicted as part of a plea bargain. The charges included actively campaigning for a student festival in Eilat through the tourism ministry, transferring almost NIS 1 million to finance it, while recommending that the organizers employ Julia Roth, with whom he was in a relationship at the time, as the producer.

Charges of bribery and money laundering were dropped.

The court convicted Meseznikov as part of a plea bargain signed by the State Attorney's Office in the framework of the arrangement for fraud and breach of trust.


"I regret it from the bottom of my heart, the mistake was made out of too much enthusiasm and a lack of experience, that apparently, stemmed from me being a new minister," the Meseznikov said, "I hope that from letters you read about the subject you will understand that I have done nothing maliciously and deceitfully. I'm far from being a corrupt man."

Judge Tzachi Uziel said, "There is no doubt that the offense of which the Defendant was convicted is one of the main offenses in the fight against governmental corruption. He was the most senior official in the Tourism Ministry who exploited his high status and acted in a substantive and blatant conflict of interests in advancing financial profits for someone with whom he had a close and secret relationship with."

Last month, the Parole Board met in Hermon Prison, where Meseznikov served his sentence. and decided that he could be released after serving nine out of the original 15months. In addition to the prison sentence, he was fined NIS 90,000.

Now is the time to join the news event of the year - The Jerusalem Post Annual Conference!
For more information and to sign up,
click here>>

Related Content

June 16, 2019
Court expected to convict Sara Netanyahu of corruption in plea deal

By YONAH JEREMY BOB

Cookie Settings