Glick's health improves enough to phone Knesset Speaker

Edelstein told the Knesset: "I wanted to share my joy with you first. A moment ago, I walked out to talk with Yehuda Glick, who has been breathing on his own for two hours now."

November 11, 2014 19:06
1 minute read.
Yehuda Glick

Yehuda Glick. (photo credit: TAZPIT)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Knesset Speaker Yuli Edelstein interrupted Knesset debates, his voice trembling with emotion, to tell lawmakers he received a phone call from Temple Mount activist Rabbi Yehuda Glick Tuesday, who was able to breathe on his own.

Nearly two weeks ago, Moataz Hijazi, a terrorist who served 10 years in prison, shot Glick outside the Menachem Begin Heritage Center in Jerusalem, where Hijazi worked in the restaurant and Glick gave a speech. Police killed Hijazi the next morning in a gunfire exchange in his east Jerusalem home.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

On Tuesday, Edelstein told the Knesset: “I wanted to share my joy with you first. A moment ago, I walked out to talk with Yehuda Glick, who has been breathing on his own for two hours now.

“Yehuda Glick asked to speak with me and said he wanted to call me quickly, because he said he knows I fought for the right to speak” – a possible reference to Edelstein’s staunch advocacy for the freedom of speech – “and he wanted to share with me that fought for the right to breathe, but now he is breathing on his own,” the Knesset Speaker said.

Edelstein told the MKs that he knows many of them wished for Glick’s good health from the podium, and he is sure their wishes helped, along with the efforts of the medical staff at Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem.

“We wish that [Glick] will not only be able to breath, but to talk and walk and dance, and that he only have happiness in his family,” he stated.

Glick was the spokesman of the Immigration Absorption Ministry when Edelstein was minister in the late 1990s, and the two have been close friends since then.


Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Haredi men gather in Jerusalem for the funeral of Rabbi Shmuel Auerbach
September 22, 2018
Haredi radio station charged with 1 million NIS for gender discrimination