Government bulldozers demolish another 3 illegally built Arab homes in east Jerusalem

Incident is fourth such residential demolition in east Jerusalem neighborhood in one week.

By
June 2, 2015 18:28
1 minute read.
IDF bulldozer

IDF bulldozer. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Three illegally constructed Arab homes in the east Jerusalem neighborhood of Silwan were demolished by government bulldozers during the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday morning, marking the fourth such residential demolition there in one week.

According to the International Middle East Media Center, a Palestinian news service, at 4:30 a.m. a coterie of Israeli soldiers cordoned-off the area and proceeded to raze the homes, located adjacent to the Old City.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Two of the homes, belonging to the Abu Khaled family, were built last year without construction permits. The family unsuccessfully filed numerous appeals at Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court to prevent the demolition prior to a May ruling authorizing it, IMEMC reported

The residence's owner, Nidal Abu Khaled, said that the demolition was originally scheduled to take place two weeks ago, but that stairwells precluded bulldozers from leveling them. This time, he told IMEMC that soldiers came with machinery capable of reaching elevated floors.   

The third home was a third-floor apartment located on Salah Ed-Deen Street, belonging to resident Rafiq Salayma, where he lived with eight family members for the past six years, IMEMC reported.

Last Wednesday government bulldozers also demolished an illegally-constructed Arab home in the neighborhood belonging to the Nassar family. One week before that, three illegally-built shops and a house under construction were also demolished in Silwan.


Following last week’s demolitions, Meretz City Councilman Dr. Meir Margalit, who holds the east Jerusalem portfolio in the municipality, described the move as heavy-handed and poorly timed.

“In this moment in Jerusalem, when the tension is so high, and when the international community is focusing their attention on what’s going on in the city, it’s a double mistake,” he said.

“On an international level, we must do everything we can in order to calm the situation in the city, and this will not help.”

Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat has repeatedly stated that the standard for obtaining building permits is uniform throughout the capital, and that illegally built Jewish structures in western Jerusalem are also routinely demolished.

According to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, since the beginning of the year, the government has demolished 200 illegally built Arab homes in the West Bank and Jerusalem.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Smoking
December 18, 2018
Tough anti-Smoking bill nearing passage

By GIL HOFFMAN