IDF chief Eisenkot says he welcomes cooperation with Breaking the Silence

Eisenkot told an academic conference in Herzliya on Tuesday that the military’s legal department should follow up on testimonies by discharged soldiers.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
February 9, 2016 11:01
2 minute read.
Gadi Eisenkot

Gadi Eisenkot. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Israel’s army chief said on Tuesday that he has instructed his charges to meet with members of the controversial veterans group Breaking the Silence and examine its claims that soldiers committed war crimes during their service in the Palestinian territories.

Lt.-Gen. Gadi Eisenkot, the IDF chief of staff, told an academic conference in Herzliya on Tuesday that the military’s legal department should follow up on testimonies by discharged soldiers who claim to have either committed acts or witnessed actions by their comrades that would constitute a violation of the laws of war.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The NGO has come under attack from Israel's right wing over its activities. Critics accuse the organization of publicizing unsubstantiated charges that cannot be independently verified with the intent of sullying Israel's image abroad.

Last year, Eisenkot’s boss, Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon, banned Breaking the Silence from taking part in any IDF activities, describing the organization as having malicious motives.

Ya’alon said he was aware of the “foolish attempts by various organizations to slander us and slander IDF soldier around the world. This is a struggle that obligates us to expose the true face of those people,” adding that, “I myself have experienced personal persecution of this type in various countries in the world."

“This is hypocrisy and false propaganda against IDF soldiers and the state of Israel, and it is a part of the delegitimization against us. Hence, I have banned the involvement of Breaking the Silence members in any IDF activities,” Ya’alon stated.

Eisenkot, however, surprised his audience at the Interdisciplinary Center when he struck a conciliatory tone toward the group.



“Any soldier who enlists in the military is given a lesson about unlawful orders,” the army chief said. “It’s not a right, but an obligation not to carry out illegal orders. We explain to soldiers that we demand that they not carry out illegal orders.”

“I’m not talking about the hundreds of soldiers who later make statements to the press,” Eisenkot said. “But it’s important to understand that it’s a duty [to disobey illegal orders].”

“Immediately after I took up the post [of chief of staff], after Operation Protective Edge, I received complaints [from soldiers about possible war crimes],” he said. “I told the army’s legal adviser to meet with Breaking the Silence and to examine these testimonies.”

“This will make the IDF stronger and better,” Eisenkot said.

Related Content

The Barak-8 missile is launched during a test
August 14, 2018
IAI to provide Barak-8 Missile Defense System for navy’s new warships

By ANNA AHRONHEIM