Israeli veteran, government clash over alleged abuse of Palestinian

Group spokesman says he himself beat Palestinian detainee.

By REUTERS
November 22, 2017 18:19
2 minute read.
Israeli veteran, government clash over alleged abuse of Palestinian

Employees work at the offices of Israeli rights group "Breaking the Silence" in Tel Aviv, Israel, December 16, 2015. (photo credit: BAZ RATNER/REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

An Israeli ex-soldier who serves as a spokesman for a group that documents alleged abuses of Palestinians has set off a legal tussle with Israeli authorities by saying he himself beat a detainee.

After Dean Issacharoff, a former army lieutenant, spoke of the incident in a speech uploaded to YouTube in April, the Israeli Justice Ministry took the unusual move of launching an investigation, with him as a suspect.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Issacharoff, the son of a senior diplomat, belongs to Breaking the Silence, a circle of army veterans that has long angered Israeli leaders by publicizing abroad what it says are confessions of war crimes in occupied Palestinian territory.

The group portrayed as another example of Israeli military excess Issacharoff's account of what he said was his own beating of a Palestinian stone-thrower in the West Bank town of Hebron while trying to handcuff him in 2014.

But the Justice Ministry last week declared the case closed, saying questioning of the alleged Palestinian victim showed the event had never happened and that Issacharoff had made a "mendacious claim." On Twitter, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu celebrated the decision as "further proof [that] Breaking the Silence lies and slanders our soldiers." Issacharoff retorted on social media that the ministry had questioned the wrong Palestinian - a man he had detained separately in Hebron around the same time.

VIDEO Breaking the Silence issued what it said was video of the right incident, showing Issacharoff frog-marching a handcuffed man. The Palestinian appears to have dark patches on his cheeks, which the group said were bruises from Issacharoff having kneed him. Issacharoff said he bloodied the Palestinian, though no blood is seen on the detainee in the footage.

Achiya Schatz, another Breaking the Silence spokesman, accused the Justice Ministry of clearing Issacharoff in order to discredit the group.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


"This was a politicized investigation, made-to-order for the elimination of opposition (voices)," Schatz said.

Prosecutor Nurit Littman denied any bias and said Issacharoff's testimony had been too sketchy to produce corroboration.

"We do not dabble in politics. We deal in evidence," she told Army Radio, leaving open the possibility of a new investigation taking into consideration the new video.

Interviewed on Israeli television, the Palestinian, Faisal al-Natsheh, said he had been detained though he had not thrown stones, and had been beaten by troops. He could not confirm Issacharoff was among them.

"They didn't let me look at them, not even once," he said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Lara Alqasem entered the courtroom for the first hearing in the High Court of Justice on October 17,
October 18, 2018
Alqasem ruling proves the system works

By LAHAV HARKOV