Jerusalem teen indicted for faking own abduction

Shin Bet investigation determines 16 year old lied about being kidnapped by Arab assailants, sending police on frantic search.

By
September 11, 2014 19:23
1 minute read.
Search and Rescue Forces

Search and Rescue Forces. (photo credit: Courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

After sending police on a wild goose chase last month, a Jerusalem teenager who claimed he had been abducted by Arabs was indicted on Wednesday for filing a false report.

According to the indictment in the Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court, the unidentified 16-year-old told police that Arabs had forced him into a car while he was hitchhiking, although he claimed to have no knowledge of where he had been at the time.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


After abruptly ending the call, the teen called police again, beseeching them to find him and claiming his life was in imminent danger, the indictment stated.

“Locate me quickly... please, I beg of you!” it quoted him as saying.

When police called the number back, the indictment continued, the teen affected an Arab accent, saying, “We kidnapped him. We’ve got him. Your guy just died.”

As a result, police and the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) launched a frantic search and rescue operation involving hundreds of officers, helicopters and road blocks.

However, after triangulating the location of the emergency call, officers determined that the boy had been calling from his family’s Jerusalem apartment, the indictment said.



The teen is being charged with multiple crimes, including obstruction of justice, providing false information, harassment and disturbing police. It remains unclear whether he will be charged as an adult.

The false claim came a few months after the nation mourned the kidnapping and murder of yeshiva students Naftali Fraenkel, 16, Eyal Yifrah, 19, and Gil-Ad Sha’er, 16, who had been hitchhiking in Area C of the West Bank when Hamas operatives abducted them. A subsequent investigation into those abductions determined that one of the students had attempted to alert police via his cellphone. Thinking the call was a prank, the officer who took the call hung up.

Related Content

Quneitra
July 21, 2018
Syrian regime pounds ISIS near Golan

By SETH J. FRANTZMAN