Police questioning 4 Egged employees for negligence in Highway 1 crash

Egged's national safety officer was also being questioned.

March 1, 2016 21:51
1 minute read.

An Egged bus sits in a parking lot . (photo credit: Wikimedia Commons)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Four Egged workers were questioned under caution by Israel Police on Tuesday following accusations of negligence that lead to the serious Route 1 crash that killed six people on February 14.

Egged’s Jerusalem-region manager, its human resources manager, an employee in its insurance department and a safety officer for the district are being investigated.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Its national safety officer was also being questioned, though not under caution, and police are expected to question further officials in the coming days.

According to police, Haim Biton was driving his No. 402 Egged bus on Route 1 from Jerusalem to Bnei Brak, when he allegedly “left the right lane and began driving on the shoulder and did not notice a disabled truck on the side of the road and struck it with great force.”

Almost all the passengers sitting on the right side of the bus were killed or injured as a crane mounted on the back of the truck gutted the side of the bus. Immediately following the crash, Biton allegedly tampered with the tachograph, which records the vehicle’s speeds and distances covered over a 24-hour period.

During a Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court hearing last month, officer Moshe Cohen said that Biton was using his cell phone while driving the No. 402 bus that night.

It was revealed in court that Biton was involved in an earlier accident in December 2013, in which 18 people were injured after his bus hit a truck ahead of him. The crash occurred while he drove the same No.

402 bus line, not far from the location of the February incident.

Biton was permitted to return to work following the 2013 crash, but was reportedly forbidden from driving intercity bus lines. However, several weeks before this most recent accident, Egged allowed him to resume driving intercity lines.

Related Content

The temple mount on the Ninth of Av, July 22, 2018.
August 18, 2018
Mayor of Arab city in Israel condemns police shooting terrorist