Balad disavows Joint List statement condemning Beersheba attack

The main issue for Balad was the wording of the statement, which was issued without the party’s approval.

By
October 21, 2015 00:40
1 minute read.
blood

Blood at the scene where terrorist was shot at the Beersheba central bus station on October 18, 2015. (photo credit: ISRAEL POLICE)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Israeli Arab nationalist Balad party voiced its disagreement on Tuesday with a Joint List statement issued a day earlier that condemned this week’s Beersheba terrorist attack.

The main issue for Balad was the wording of the statement, which was issued without the party’s approval.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“Everyone agrees that press releases go out only with the consent of all its components,” a source from Balad told The Jerusalem Post Tuesday.

“Our absence yesterday [Monday] was taken advantage of to get the condemnation message out. We object to the content of the message,” the source said.

The Joint List statement said, “The Joint List expresses fierce opposition and condemnation of the shooting and killings that took place at the central bus station in Beersheba.

“The struggle of the Arab community in Israel is a political, popular and parliamentary struggle, not a violent one,” it continued.

The only way to break the cycle of violence is by “ending the occupation,” it said, adding that it warned against “a wave of incitement and intimidation against the Arab population.”



Joint List head Ayman Odeh (Hadash) issued a separate statement that also condemned the attack.

The office of Balad MK Haneen Zoabi sent the Post her own statement on Tuesday: “The responsibility for the individual acts of violence is related to the occupation and the oppression of the Palestinian people.

“You cannot talk about an equality of both sides when one people is free and the other is occupied.”

Zoabi emphasized that the two-state solution is not the solution, but rather “one binational state for all its citizens.

“Moreover, we believe that the Palestinian people have the right to struggle within the limits of international law. We are not calling for violence,” she said.

Related Content

TRANSPORTATION MINISTER Israel Katz and Rona Ramon cut the ribbon to inaugurate Eilat’s new airport.
July 17, 2018
First flight lands at Ramon Airport as Eilat seeks to grab more tourists

By MAX SCHINDLER