Calm returns to Jaffa after weekend riots

Father of shooting victim proclaims son’s innocence.

July 31, 2017 00:10
2 minute read.
Calm returns to Jaffa after weekend riots

TIRES AND garbage bins are set on fire by rioters in Jaffa over the weekend. (photo credit: TWITTER)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The streets of Jaffa were quiet Sunday after rioting, following the killing and funeral of a 22-year-old suspect accused of instigating a shootout with police a day earlier.

Shots were fired by a number of suspects at a port in the coastal city, in the early morning hours of Saturday leading to an immediate police response, followed by a chase when two of the suspects fled on mopeds. During the pursuit, police said shots were fired at officers on the well-traveled Yefet Street, resulting in returned fire that killed Mahdi al-Saadi, 22, and moderately wounded his unidentified accomplice.

During a Sunday morning interview with Army Radio, Saadi’s father, Jamal, claimed the police are orchestrating a cover up.

“The police chased my son, shot him and murdered him in cold blood,” he said, denying that his son was involved in the shooting. “I think they may have been in pursuit of another [suspect], noticed him and shot him. He wasn’t connected. Maybe they identified a moped of the same color, or maybe he had a similar body build. But my son was not involved in any shooting incident in Jaffa. He was not armed.”

He added: “He probably was just passing through on his moped. If they were in pursuit, why shoot him in the head. Why kill him? They could have shot his tire... We want to know which policeman murdered him… and that he will receive the punishment he deserves.”

Police have denied any wrongdoing, saying the officers responded to gunfire aimed at their vehicles during the pursuit of the suspects.

Following the shooting on Saturday, dozens of young, masked Arab rioters who claimed it was unjustified gathered where the gunfire took place and proceeded to light tires and dumpsters on fire while throwing rocks at police.

Police cordoned off large sections of the street, and at least three suspects were arrested as calm was restored.

Saturday evening saw hundreds of mourners peacefully gathered at Saadi’s funeral in Jaffa. As they walked from his home to the local mosque, and then to the city’s cemetery, police deployed to oversee the procession closed several streets to accommodate the march.

After the funeral, however, a group of Arab youths began rioting again on Yefet Street, setting vehicles and dumpsters on fire.

“There was a strong police presence in the area, and units immediately responded,” police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said. “Sections of the road were again cordoned off, and at least eight suspects were arrested, including six minors, after police contained the violence,” he said. No injuries were reported, he added.

The investigation into the shooting was turned over to the Justice Ministry’s Internal Affairs Department.

“This is standard procedure for investigations like this,” Rosenfeld said. “[The investigation] is no longer with the police.”

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

San Francisco
June 24, 2019
Culinary celebration to take place in Herzliya


Cookie Settings