Netanyahu denies 'baseless' corruption accusations

"We say again, as we have said always, nothing will come out of this - because there is nothing to be found."

By JPOST.COM STAFF
December 30, 2016 11:59
1 minute read.
Benjamin Netanyahu

Benjamin Netanyahu. (photo credit: AMOS BEN-GERSHOM/GPO)

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu denied recent allegations of wrongdoing on Friday morning. "All the recent accusations have been proven to be baseless and so too nothing will come out of what has been in the media now." The prime minister's office said in a statement regarding media reports that the Attorney General will open a formal investigation into corruption charges.

"We say again, as we have said always, nothing will come out of this - because there is nothing to be found."

Attorney-General Avichai Mandelblit decided to open a full criminal investigation against Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, according to a Channel 10 report Wednesday night. The report lacked details about the nature of the investigation.

For months there have been suggestive media reports about impending decisions regarding Netanyahu’s fate, with some attributing the reports to attempts by the police to force Mandelblit’s hand.

Channel 10’s report said that the issue involves two different affairs, the main details of which still have not come out in the media. It added that dates for Netanyahu to be questioned would be set in the coming days.

To date there have been a number of accusations regarding certain scandals allegedly involving Netanyahu and some of his current or former aides and connections with wealthy individuals, but nothing has moved so far from a preliminary review to a full criminal investigation.

Yonah Jeremy Bob contributed to this report.


Related Content

The house of Carmel Mauda burning
September 22, 2019
Daycare owner released on house arrest despite death threats

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF