Purim costume gone wrong: Boy dresses up as charity box, swallows 'donations'

A Purim story that could have ended in tragedy.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
March 22, 2016 19:24
Shekel

Israeli New Shekel.. (photo credit: Wikimedia Commons)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A five-year-old boy from Jerusalem took his Purim costume a little too seriously this year when, dressed up as a charity box, he decided to swallow coins, Channel Two reported Tuesday.

Upon noticing that the young boy was in distress, a teacher tapped him on his back, causing one of the swallowed coins to shoot out of his mouth. The boy, apparently, swallowed the coins from the charity-box he was carrying as part of his costume.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The boy suffered a coughing attack, and then began to throw up. He was then escorted to a Jerusalem hospital where, following an x-ray, doctors discovered another coin trapped in his lungs.

Due to the sensitive location of the trapped coin, he was taken into emergency surgery.

Doctor David Zlotnik, head of the emergency room to which the boy was evacuated, said that "should the boy not have made it to the hospital on time, this story could have ended with a tragedy."


Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

US student Lara Alqasem appears at the district court in Tel Aviv, 2018
October 17, 2018
Alleged BDS activisit Alqasem to appeal deportation in High Court hearing

By CASSANDRA GOMES-HOCHBERG