Memphis Grizzlies forward Omri Casspi (18) goes to the basket against Detroit Pistons guard Luke Kennard (5) during the first half at FedExForum.
(photo credit: JUSTIN FORD-USA TODAY SPORTS VIA REUTERS)
Omri Casspi is an Israeli basketball player. He is the first Jewish to be selected in the first round of the NBA draft and to play in an NBA game.
Casspi is 6ft, 9 inches tall. His position on the field is the small forward position but he can also play at the power forward position.
In February 2017, Omri Casspi was traded to the New Orleans Pelicans. On March 20, 2017, Casspi signed with the Minnesota Timberwolves; July 12, 2017, he signed with the Golden State Warriors and a year later, July 11, 2018, to be exact, he signed with the Memphis Grizzlies.
Omri Casspi is ranked number five in the league history because he is yet to take part in the NBA playoffs.
Here are more details about:
Omri Casspi Early Life
Omri Casspi is the second of three children born to Shimon and llana on June 22, 1988, in Holon, Israel. He has one brother, Eitan, who is the oldest and one sister, Aviv who is the youngest. His parents were born in Israel but of Moroccan-Jewish descent. His hobbies include playing tennis and spending time with family and friends.
- Omri has always been interested in sports from an early age. When he was 13, he joined the Maccabi Tel Aviv Youth team and won the State Youth Championship in 2005.
- He made his professional debut at age 17 when he played with the Maccabi Tel Aviv youth team during the 2005-2006 season.
- He played in junior contests such as “Maccabi Rishon LeZion” and “Elitzur Yavne.
- During his rookie season, he averaged 2.1 and 4.2 points in 9.4 minutes at the Israeli Basketball League.
- In 2008 he declared that he was ready for the 2008 NBA draft. However, he withdrew himself before the deadline because he did not receive a first-round guarantee from any NBA club.
Omri Casspi Awards and Achievements
- 2009 - 2013
- June 2009 – selected for the 2009 NBA draft and become the first Israeli to be selected. Sign multi-year deal with the Kings.
- October 2009 – Scored 15 points in his debut for the Kings with the Oklahoma City Thunder.
- December 2009 – Scored 22 points in his first NBA start against Washington Wizard.
- Between 2010 – 2011 he played a total of 71 games for Sacramento.
- June 30, 2011 – he was traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- Omri Casspi signed a deal with Houston Rockets. On July 15, 2014, he was traded from the Rockets to the New Orleans Pelican in a three-team trade.
- He played for the New Orleans Pelican in 2017 and sustained an injury to his right thumb after scoring 12 points. He left the New Orleans Pelican on February 29, 2017.
- On July 12, 2017, he signed with Golden State Warriors.
- On March 20, 2017, he went to play for the Minnesota Timberwolves.
- 2018-present he plays for Memphis Grizzlies.
Omri Casspi Contracts
- 2006 – 2009
- Champion of Israeli Super League.
- Israeli State Cup Winner.
- Averaged 10.4 points and 4 rebounds in 2008 which made him earn the Israeli State Cup League Sixth Man of the Year award.
- Ranked number five spot in overall Basketball league history.
- Israeli Super League Quintet.
- FIBA Europe Young Men's Player of the Year Award for the 2008–2009.
- Participated in the NBA All-Star Weekend Rookie Challenge.
- The Warriors gave him a championship ring for his contribution to the 2017-2018 basketball season.
His Personal Life
- Signed multi-year contract with the Kings on July 10, 2009.
- Signed multi-year deal with the Houston Rockets on the 16th of July 2013.
- Signed with Sacramento Kings on September 18, 2014, for the second time.
- Re-signed contract with the Kings on July 14, 2015.
- Signed up with the Minnesota Timberwolves on March 20, 2017.
- Signed with Golden States Warriors on July 12, 2017.
- Approached by Memphis Grizzlies on the 11th of July, 2018 and ended up signing a deal.
- Relationship - Omri Casspi wife is Shani Ruderman, who is of Israeli heritage. They walked down the aisle in Tel Aviv, Israel, in June 2016. It was a beautiful wedding ceremony with only close friends and family in attendance. On the 7th of July 2017, the couple welcomed an adoring daughter named Sarai Casspi into the world.
- Height, weight, body stats – Omri stands tall at 6ft 9 inches with a lean body frame and a weight of 225 lbs. (102 kg).
- Foundation – Omri operates the Omri Casspi Foundation. The goal of the foundation is to show people the beauty of Israel and its architecture.
- At the 2017 Maccabiah Games, he took part in the torch lighting ceremony on July 6, 2017.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>