Victim of Palestinian vehicular attack in Jerusalem released from hospital

"I am very grateful to everyone who treated me, and to all those who prayed for my recovery," says Shira Klein.

April 30, 2015 10:52
1 minute read.
Shira Klien

Shira Klien out of hospital‏. (photo credit: HADASSAH)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Two weeks after being seriously wounded in a Jerusalem vehicular terrorist attack that killed Shalom Yohai Cherki, Shira Klein, 24, was released from Hadassah University Medical Center in Ein Kerem on Thursday.

Klein was placed on a ventilator and sedated for several days after sustaining head and hand wounds during the late-night attack carried out by Khaled Koutineh, at a French Hill bus stop on Haim Bar-Lev Boulevard.

Earlier this week, she was transferred from the intensive care unit to orthopedics, upon regaining consciousness.

Koutineh, 37, from Anata, was arrested immediately following the attack.
Deadly Jerusalem vehicular terror attack

Although he initially denied that he intentionally drove into them, Koutineh subsequently confessed to the crime, telling Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) investigators that he carried out the attack after becoming incensed over being detained at a checkpoint near his home.

Cherki, 25, the son of prominent religious-Zionist Rabbi Uri Cherki, died from severe head trauma several hours after being struck. He was buried at Har Hamenuhot, in the capital’s Givat Shaul neighborhood, the day following the attack.

On Thursday, Prof. Iri Libergal, head of Hadassah’s orthopedic division, who performed surgery on Klein’s hand, said she is being released “in what can certainly be described as good, stable condition.”

Prior to being released from the hospital, Klein, who is pursuing a master’s degree in psychology, thanked the staff for aiding in her recovery.

“I am very grateful to everyone who treated me in the hospital and all those who prayed for my recovery,” she said. “I wanted to return to my studies, but I will wait a few more weeks in order to regain my strength.”

Klein’s mother, Ada, expressed gratitude and relief over her daughter’s recovery.

“Thank God Shira feels much better, and we hope that she continues to get better,” she said. “Shira knows all the details of the terrorist attack and has filled in the gaps through what we told her. She saw the video that shows the moment of the attack.”

On Wednesday police released video footage of the incident, which took place as Israel marked Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

L28 Culinary Platform at 28 Lilienblum Street, Tel Aviv
April 18, 2019
L28 Culinary Platform: Far more than just another Tel Aviv restaurant